Flight has become such a large part of our culture. Aviation has become a hobby for some, and others just love to watch planes fly by. Flight is so integrated into our society that we compare things to it all the time. Debbie Ford’s quote is a perfect example of this: “If you wish to fly to new heights, begin by setting your sights on a destination you can reach and then create a flight plan, a map, that will be your guide.”
This quote can of course be used not only to describe taking flight, but also making a plan to reach a goal. And there are many more quotes that prove how much our culture has become fixated with flying, in fact, some of these were said back when we were just watching birds, before we even built our own wings.
- “The process of scientific discovery is, in effect, a continual flight from wonder.” – Albert Einstein
- “For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return.” – Leonardo da Vinci
- “The human bird shall take his first flight, filling the world with amazement, all writings with his fame, and bringing eternal glory to the nest whence he sprang.” – Leonardo da Vinci
- “Aviation is proof that given the will, we have the capacity to achieve the impossible.” – Eddie Rickenbacker
- “I was hooked on aviation, made model airplanes, and never thought I would be able to fly myself. It cost too much. But then World War II came along and changed all that.” – John Glenn
- “Had I not become a professional golfer, I think I would have pursued some type of career in aviation.” – Arnold Palmer
These quotes show that not only did flight amaze us, but it motivated us enough to create our own wings. Out of our curiosity, something beautiful was born.